Saturday, April 7, 2012

library love story.

She's a dear friend. Toured with her in college on the dance company. 
Deep blue eyes. Long blonde hair.
Smile that brightens a room, and a laugh that pulls you right in.


I met him through my love. They were roommates.
He was a groomsmen for us.
Funny. Sweet. Oddly awesome.


So. You can imagine our excitement when these two started dating. 
You can imagine our extra excitement when we learned that Joe decided to buy a beautiful ring.


And you can imagine our extreme excitement 
when he asked us if we'd help him with the perfect proposal. 


The stage was set: a historic library. 
A string of clues would lead her to a specific book. 
And as she read the final clue, Joe was to come out from behind a bookcase, drop to one knee, and ask Ashlei to be with him forever. It was perfect. 


We hid behind towering bookshelves for what seemed like an eternity. 

Gid was supposed to be the watchdog. 

I was supposed to snap a few pictures.


We're waiting. Still waiting. I'm trying to keep one eye on the door, so I can see when Ashlei gets there, and one eye on Joe, because I'm pretty sure he's about to hyperventilate. He's bouncing up and down like a boxer preparing for a match. Never seen him this nervous.


Finally. 

I see the familiar blonde hair. The sweet blue eyes. She's come. I silently prepare my camera, and sneak to the other side of the bookcase (where I've conveniently moved books to create the perfect frame to shoot through). 


She's found the book. She's flipping to the page where the final clue waits. 
I'm crouched, lens focusing, pointer finger milliseconds from snapping the first picture.


All of a sudden, this librarian dude comes from out of no where and starts showing Ashlei another book. Being polite, she lets him finish (though it was obvious she was much more interested in the book with the clue). I quickly peer over to Joe. He's clearly about to have a major meltdown. 


After Ashlei politely thanks the librarian for his help, he comes around the corner inches from my face and greets me with a loud, "well, hi there!" Trying not to snarl, I hiss "get outta here!" Then I make weird military-like gestures trying to communicate that there is a proposal going on for heavens sake.


Joe comes out. 
She sees him. 
He kneels down. 


I remember hearing her gasp. 
Seeing a glimmer of tears in Joe's eyes.
 Snapping a few pictures while I tried to keep it together.



I don't remember much after that. 
All I know, is there were happy lumps in my throat. 


And that's the beginning of this happily ever after.

The End.

All of the best in the world to the two of you.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Lyss! It was beyond perfect and I'm so glad that you could be apart of it and capture it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo Hoo! I had no idea that Joe and Ashlei were dating! That is the cutest thing ever! Congrats! Great job Alyssa, I loved this post and pictures, I can see it all happening. So cute!

    ReplyDelete